As far as distro is concerened, I can't speak warmly enough of kanotix.
It's  a debian/knoppix variant based on sid, and has a 64 bit version that
works straight off. Just boot up in vga mode (grub extras menu) and you'll
get x on your tv straight away. Save your XF86Config-4 to a safe place before
you start messing around to improve it :-).

HD install is a doddle. Everything works, and there are even scripts available
to build/install extra software you will need.

Heartily recommended!

Of course I also
>want a graphics card with good tv-out. Does anyone know if this is possible,
or am I just
>dreaming?
>
>Regards,
>Martin

>http://mail.yahoo.com

As long as your distro does not use X for the graphical install, or you

forgo the grapical install, you should be ok w
>th an nVidia card with
tv-out. I've used several different cards and the all worked fine on
tv-out until you try to start X, that's when things get tricky (well,
you need the right settings at least).

-Bill

Registered Linux user