On Monday 21 February 2005 19:53, Harry Orenstein wrote:
> On Monday 21 February 2005 6:29 pm, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 21 February 2005 14:20, Jason Kraftcheck wrote:
> > > I use Debian rather than RH/Fedora, so perhaps this isn't possible for
> > > you. ÂBut why mess with all this aliasing stuff to load modules on
> > > demand? ÂI thought that was for seldom-used drivers to save some
> > > memory, etc. ÂThat obviously isn't the case for a lirc driver on a
> > > mythtv box. On Debian, I just add lirc_i2c to /etc/modules. ÂIt is then
> > > unconditionally loaded early in the boot sequence. ÂI would be
> > > surprised if RH/Fedora did not have an equivalent mechanism.
> >
> > Things changed quite a bit with FC3 and udev. Simply having the alias
> > defs in modprobe.conf (or modules.conf w/2.4 kernels) was sufficient to
> > get the modules loaded when needed with earlier FC/RH versions. There's
> > been no RH/FC "unconditionally load this" feature in the past, to the
> > best of my knowledge.
> >
> > I will say that I do rather like the Debian way of handling this. I have
> > yet to find the "right" way to do this for FC3, but I'm in the process of
> > hacking something into rc.sysinit that should do the job, based solely on
> > the contents of modprobe.conf, modeled after the way FC3 loads modules
> > for sound cards. And to confirm, I just checked, everything now
> > auto-loads perfectly on my test box with a few additions to rc.sysinit.
> > Patch attached for those who care to try it out.
>
> I guess the files I sent you didn't work out.  They work for me in FC3.  I
> have those plus the lirc.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d plus a video0 device
> in /etc/udev/devices plus a symlink of /dev/video.  Everything just loads
> correctly.

Actually, that way works also, now that I revisit it. I was running into the
backend always being dead, which made me dig deeper into starting things
earlier. As it turns out, that was because the backend was being started
while root's "home" was still /, so it was looking for a config file
in /.mythtv/mysql.txt instead of /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt (this is a slave
backend), not because of any failure of those files.

However, I think this solution is better, because it causes any and all v4l
drivers to load, doesn't rely on creating static device files (this method
will create the device nodes for any number of ivtv, bttv, cx88 devices
without having to worry about setting up device files in /etc/udev/devices),
and it works with any lirc module set up in modprobe.conf only (just one
place you have to edit). Its just more udev-y. :-)

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Got a question? Read this first...