On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:41:13 -0500, Daniel L. Appleget
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     I have an ATI TV Wonder VE for my capture card.  The tuning seems to be
> way off i.e. if I set it to channel 22 I see channel 20.  I do have the
> setting right for the tuning types NTSC and USCable.  I also get the same
> results from Xawtv.  I can use the fine-tune in Xawtv to get the picture
> stronger but it is way off like two whole channels.  I am thinking that the
> used tuner card I have is bad but I wanted to ask since I have no experience
> with TV capture or MythTV. I have the current build of KnoppMyth (5A10) and
> a P3 733 with 512Mb ram.
>
>     Another unrelated easy question I had for the experienced.  Do I need a
> faster video card for live TV, if I run the front end and back end on the
> same box?  Do I need a more powerful capture card for live TV, if I run the
> front end and back end on the same box?  Because Live TV is very choppy.

Here is what I did to get this card working (keep in mind that things
might be different with the 2.6 kernel and modprobe.conf):

Here are the configuration for files I used to get everything working
on boot. Please note that these are ADDED to the files, not the entire
files.
/etc/modules.conf

alias char-major-81 bttv
options bttv card=1 autoload=0 radio=0
post-install bttv insmod tuner type=2

This cam from the following site:
http://www.linuxlogin.com/linux/ati_tv.php

Also on the subject of performance, the TV Wonder cards use software
encoding.  Basically you should be able to record or watch your
recording fine with the 733 but not at the same time.  This is because
your processor has to both encode (record) and decode (play) the
video.  A hardware encoder like the PVR 250 would be a better idea for
that processor (or a faster processor, though the 250 has better image
quality as well).

--
I probably still have a few (well, now a whole bunch) gmail invites.
Drop me a line (off list) if you'd like an account.