On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:13:40 +0100 (MET), Uwe Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> list,
>
> I know, not all are interested in decreasing the time needed for switching
> channels
> in live TV.
> But, I want to replace my old satellite receiver with a mythfrontend
> (together with
> mythbackend and DVB-S cards). The frontend and backend (2 DVB-S cards) are
> up and
> running already and are used as a VHS-replacement by now, even by my wife,
> but, as
> mentioned above, but -for me- it needs too long (1s to 3s, dependign on ??)
> switch channels. Because I want to use it as DVB-S (digital) receiver.
> And for zapping hte channels, 2 seconds e.g. are too long for me.
>
> So, question:
>
> what can I do to reduce the time needed for switching channels ?
>
> Improvements in configuration, source code changes (buffer for MPEG2-stream
> in
> frontend), just every suggestion is welcome.

Well, the first thing you'd have to do, from my understanding, is
remove the PVR functions from live TV watching.  The reason for the
delay in changing channels is the need to build up a buffer of video
before displaying it to the user.  When watching "live tv" in myth
you're actually watching video that is about 3 seconds behind the real
live feed because the video is recorded and you are really watching
the recorded video just after it's recorded.  Since myth can only
buffer video as fast as it's being received you can't buffer 3 seconds
of video in less than 3 seconds.

Now you could make channel changes almost instantaneous by just
displaying the live feed to the user, but then you lose the ability to
pause/rew/ff since the video is just being passed through to the
screen and not recorded.  If you do some searching in the archive you
should find that this topic has been discussed several times in the
past.

I also think you'll find, as most people do, that once you start using
the PVR functions of myth (or any other PVR, for that matter) the
amount of time you spend "channel surfing" will decrease drastically.
Why waste time searching all the channels for something good to watch
when you can just look through the schedule for the whole week on
Sunday night and tell the PVR to tape anything that looks interesting?
 That way, when you're ready to watch you just start up whichever show
you want to watch immediately.  No commercials, no scanning for
something good.  Just watch what you want when you want it.

Brad