On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:57:42AM -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:55:49PM +1100, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> > This is not a good approach. A release should be a more heavily tested
> > and stabilized package than the usual snapshots.
>
> In my experience, almost nobody will test anything until a release is
> made.

That's not true.   Once a package reaches a certain user base size -- and
I think mythtv has reached that size though I don't know for sure -- it
develops a core of people who will indeed download and test a release
candidate (but who won't compile from CVS.)

Among the most popular packages, like Mozilla, or Java, immense numbers of
people download the release candidates -- what in the old days used to
be called a beta but that term is being re-appopriated.  Almost more
than they need.

If you have a package with a small user base (and also without enough
difference in features and fixes to incentivize the beta testers) then
this won't work, but there is a level above which it works well, and
I think Myth has made it.

The term beta has changed in part because lots of packages, myth included,
release to the public software with a verion number that starts with
"0."    That usage tries to mean, "If this were a commercial product, we
would not ship this yet."

In the old parlance, the CVS is alpha -- meant for internal testers, the
release candidate is beta, and the release is, well, the release.
However, a version 0 product is not at the "release" state of the commercial
vocabulary so it gets confusing.