On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:44:27AM -0500, Anthony Vito wrote:
>  This one always gets me a good laugh. A little known fact ( Probably
> more widely known to people on this list. ) is that the great majority
> ( maybe 99% for large video media files ) of all content on so-called
> "peer2peer" sites is scene content. Meaning it was prepared by a
> specific underground group, sent off to the top sites, and made it's
> way down from there, getting repackaged along the way. ( People don't
> like rar archives or something. ) Recently, with the advent of
> bittorrent, many users got a peek into this world, and got to download
> original scene content. The point here is that the broadcast flag will
> have no affect at all on large video media internet trading. In fact
> ,I would argue that it would make the statistical probability you
> would get a well done encoding much higher, because all the content
> that's there will be from the scene. Rather then being encoded by your
> 12 year old cousin haxor using vidomi.

Largely true.   The BF will mostly interfere with ordinary consumers
trying to use their equipment.

But the real thing they want it to do is let them control equipment
vendors.   Now you can't build digital TV equipment without coming to
them and getting approval and their magic keys.   This stops upstart
innovators and open source developers from undermining the main
companies.

And outside the P2P world, which is still not everybody, it stops a
company from selling a DVD burner with a DTV tuner in it which
records shows onto DVDs or new hi-def DVD.   Doesn't stop me from
building one but it stops a company from selling one which is the real
way consumers would get their hands on them.