Brad Templeton wrote:
Well, here's an odd failure story.  I picked up a cable -- perhaps it
was too cheap, but the sense I get with HDMI and cheap cables is that as
a digital standard it either works or it doesn't.

Which is a common myth or misunderstanding. Each bit being either 0 or 1 doesn't mean that a billion bits either get there or don't -- and moreover, it doesn't mean the cabling is not a factor. It's still an analog signal carrying those digital bits, a signal which is subject to attenuation, noise, etc. And even beyond that, the cable itself can cause problems; for instance, coaxial (RCA-style) digital audio interconnects can carry noise such as a 60Hz hum along with the actual signal, resulting in audible artifacts even over a 'digital' cable -- which is why some prefer an optical cable to electrically isolate components (I myself am not nearly that much of a perfectionist, but it's a good example of 'digital cable' != 'perfect reproduction').

And the image sucked!  It wasn't as overscanned, which is nice, but it
was noticeably worse in computer display mode (which shows resolution
the best).

What sucked about it -- sparklies (often green), horizontal lines (i.e. a ground loop), colour, fuzziness, or something else? Colour is a common difference; it usually just means things have to be calibrated differently, and the digital version is generally more reliable and accurate even if it doesn't 'look right' at first. Sparklies (or just lack of signal) are the only common artifact I know of that might actually be due to the cable itself; otherwise it's probably either a setting somewhere (i.e. not actually using the same resolution contrary to appearances; or a display setting -- e.g., my projector has a whole set of settings that are independent based on input) or possibly the display itself actually has inferior electronics along the 'digital input' path.

-spc

--
 /-                 Sean Cier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                  -\
( Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll have another pint )