Here I go again sounding like an idiot.  I have no idea how to do
that.  But from what it sounds like, I am going to have to uninstall
LIRC via apt, then grab the source for LIRC...and patch that
somehow...and then compile it all the while crossing my fingers hoping
it works.  Correct?  Anywhere you could point me to start the process?