I also have this problem.  My temporary fix was to set a cronjob to
run mythfilldatabase at 11:35 PM and 12:05 AM.  It seems I need both
or sometimes the 11:35 job clears the next day.

My suspicion is that it has to do with database corruption.  I had
some system crashes when I first set up the system and I had to run
myisamchk to fix some other problems.  It was about that time that I
started having this problem.  I'm hoping a clean install will fix it,
but I'm waiting for R5 of Knoppmyth before I do that.