Brad Benson wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:06:57 -0800, Don <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can someone please help me with this.
All I need mysql for is to run mythtv.

To use SET PASSWORD on Unix, do this:

shell> mysql -u root
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'host_name' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

In the second SET PASSWORD statement, replace host_name with the name of
the server host. This is the name that is specified in the Host column
of the non-localhost record for root in the user table. If you don't
know what hostname this is, issue the following statement before using
SET PASSWORD:

mysql> SELECT Host, User FROM mysql.user;

Look for the record that has root in the User column and something other
than localhost in the Host column. Then use that Host value in the
second SET PASSWORD statement.

mysql> SELECT Host, User FROM mysql.user;
+-----------+--------+
| Host      | User   |
+-----------+--------+
| %         | mythtv |
| localhost |        |
| localhost | root   |

Most likely you can find out the hostname by executing 'hostname'
(without the quotes) from the command line on the machine that is
running mysql.

mysql> hostname;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'hostname' at line 1

My posting without a subject was not intentional.
I was moving to fast and didn't read the notice.

Also, in the future you should NEVER send a post to the list with no
subject line.  It just so happens that I'm bored at the moment and was
curious what was in your post, but nine times out of ten no one is
going to read the post, let alone replay to it, if you don't include a
subject line giving at least a vague idea of what your question is.

Brad