On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 00:52 -0500, Mario L wrote:
> So then does the PXE boot run all the files off nfs, or does it cache
> them locally in memory?
All PXE boot does it bring the kernel in.  Once the actually kernel that
is going to be used is loaded, the PXE bootloader is gone.

I'm not sure how NFS handles caching.  Programs that are running have
their active parts sitting in memory.  A peek at 'vmstat' on my running
epia mythfrontend shows:
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system--
----cpu----
r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in    cs us sy
id wa
0  0      0 185596      0  23460    0    0    98     0  151   138  7  0
92  0

So, there's some caching going on.

It's a good idea to use a ramdisk for /tmp.
I have in /etc/fstab:
tmpfs   /tmp   tmpfs   defaults,nosuid,size=4M,mode=777   0 0

--
Adam Felson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>