I have a few video files that have Dolby AC3 encoding. When I try to play them with xine or gmplayer, they play back just fine in full 5.1 glory; however mplayer does not do likewise. mplayer will either spit out the following message and exit or display the message and continue playing the clip with no sound:

ALSA lib setup.c:548:(add_elem) Cannot obtain info for CTL elem (MIXER,'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0,0,0): No such file or directory

I've tried many different variations of -ac hwac3, and -ao alsa:default but all seem to either cause mplayer to exit or to play w/o sound. Now, the error message seems to indicate that there is no mixer control labeled IEC958.... and that is true. The problem is that I cannot seem to find out why it is looking for that specific mixer.

I have a 7NIF2 and am using the onboard soundcard. Absolutely everything else is working fine (2 channel and 5.1 surround on xine, 2 channel on mplayer; in recordings, videos, dvds, etc.). I'm running 0.17 from ATRPMs on FC3.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Matt