is this using Xv or XvMC?

--John

I've lost track of the thread where I said something about trying a GeForce 6200 in place of a GeForce 4 MX with an Athlon XP 1800 system, to see if that would give any significant playback performance boost with High Definition recordings. Well, the answer is no, not really, but a bit of a cpu upgrade sure helped. Here's a quick summary of my findings today (from memory though, wish I'd actually written it all down). In all cases, I'm using libmpeg2 for decode.

Athlon XP 1800 w/AGP GF4MX, 6629 nvidia driver:

-Able to play back 720p, cpu around 85% used.
-Able to play back 1080i without a deint filter, cpu around 95% used.
-Stutter every second or two on 1080i with deint filter on, cpu completely pegged.

Athlon XP 1800 w/AGP GF4MX, 7174 nvidia driver:
-Able to play back 720p, cpu around 70% used.
-Able to play back 1080i without deint, cpu around 85% used.
-Stutter every few seconds on 1080i w/deint filter on, cpu pegged.

Athlon XP 1800 w/AGP GeForce 6200, 7174 nvidia driver:
-Maybe slightly better, but no significant difference from the GF4MX.

Athlon XP 2600 w/AGP GF4MX, 7174 nvidia driver:
-Able to play back 720p, can't remember cpu usage.
-Able to play back 1080i w/no deint, can't remember cpu usage.
-Able to play back 1080i w/kernel deint filter enabled, cpu usage fluctuates between 80 and 95%.

I've decided to stick with the 2600 and GF4MX, and my secondary Myth box can now handle 1080i programming without a problem. I'll get the missing cpu utilization numbers one of these days...