I was always concerned about this, and I'm not sure I did it correctly right. I did let ./configure run without arch arguments, but it "seemed" to do the right thing (which it should be able to do?):

CFLAGS = -pipe -march=pentiumpro -Wall -W -O3 -Wall -Wno-switch -fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-missing-prototypes -D_REENTRANT -DPIC -fPIC -DMMX -DUSING_IVTV -DUSING_XRANDR -DUSING_XVMC -DUSING_OPENGL_VSYNC -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DPREFIX=\"/usr/local\"

I say this because of the manual line on the subject:

-march=pentiumpro -mmmx for the AMD Athlon XP CPU with MMX, 3dNOW!, enhanced 3dNOW! and SSE. (pentium3 compatible)

That makes it sound like the result is correct. But of course, -DMMX and -mmmx are different... should I be seeing both?

What do you put in your ./configure arguments, if you're building for an Athlon XP 3000+?

I used:

./configure  --enable-xvmc --enable-opengl-vsync --enable-directfb