gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
Tom Lichti wrote:

Looks like a nice piece, I've seen from avsforum that most guys recommend just getting a better video card with component out, which may actually be cheaper, since I can get an nVidia 6200 card with HDTV/component out for $110 CDN, versus $120US for the Crescendo card. I just have to make sure my mobo has a PCI Express port on it...

one feature i really like about the external model is that it has a vga breakout which allows me to use my monitor to tweak the settings (since the vga breakout mirrors the signal going to the tv) w/o having to swap cables and whatnot. it's different than something like TwinView, because it's done in the hardware, not software and has nothing to do w/ drivers, etc ... the main reason i got it was because i'm stuck w/ an ATI card and the ATI component dongle (at least for the Radeon 9600) doesn't work in linux, so this was the only way to go ...

Yes, that does sound nice. I may still go that route, depending.

Thanks for the input!

Tom