I see posts and FAQ's and specs that display different numbers and I'm
wondering what one means over the other.

For example:

I have a Samsung DLP Monitor that has the following "specs":

It's a 61" 16x9 TV.

It has a resolution of 1280x720

It supports the following formats:  480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i

Any generic explaination would be really nice.

2 specific questions I have:
In the MythTV recording profiles, to 'get the most' out of my TV, what
resolution should I use to record?
What resolution should I have in my xorg.conf?

Related question:
I have both VGA and DVI inputs on the TV.  I am wondering if running a
vga to vga cable from my videocard to the input will transfer an HD
stream, or if I HAVE to get a videocard with a DVI output (not that
it's that big of a deal, it'd just be nice to save ~30 bucks ;) ).

Thanks!!