Just so that I'm on the bandwagon with everyone. Buy an Xbox remote only for the dongle and IR receiver, use the Xbox remote if you want or use another generic remote with a "Power" and "Volume" controls compatible with RCA universal codes.

The last question is will LIRC recognize this automatically or does it need to be modified?

patslists at gmail could you elaborate a little on this:

"I have added additional codes beyond the xbox built-ins using LIRC and a JP1
remote control (RadioShack 2116 from memory)."

Thanks for the input.

p.s. patslist at gmail, you don't happen to have any invites do you for g-mail???