On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:49:32PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 11:17:37AM -0600, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> > On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 01:14:17PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > > As far as I understand it, correct.  Asset owners could put any number
> > > of whatever flags they want on their content.  Asset playback devices
> > > just don't have to honour it any way.
> > >
> > > b.
> >
> > Correct, the pcHDTV just throws the bit away when it gets it.
>
> Actually the software (MythTV etc) will be ignoring it; it'll be in the
> stream sent by the pcHDTV to the CPU though.

True but misleading.

The duty to obey the flag was (before the law was struck down) on the
tuner.  So whether it passed it through or not, what would have mattered
after July 1 was that the tuner card did not obey the flag rules and
dared to send clear content to any PC app (including of course Myth.)

If somebody were to build a tuner-card/MythTV combo that were bound
together and claim it BF compliant, then the duty to obey would have
fallen on both.  A robustness requirement in the struck down law would
have required that the card in the combo not talk to software that
had not pledged alleigence to the flag, and the software would have
to be secure from tampering, store video encrypted etc.