Set DisplaySize in your X config to 400x225 (even though this is
probably not the actual physical size of your screen, the on-screen
fonts become unreadable if you set the size higher than this.)  Freeview
broadcasts display correctly this way with my TV set to "Wide", whether
the source is 4:3 or 16:9 - 4:3 broadcasts are correctly pillarboxed to
display on the 16:9 screen; 16:9 broadcasts fill the display in glorious
widescreen :)

My only problem now is that the GUI doesn't do the aspect ratio
properly, and I'm busy finding my way around the code now to address
this.  A quick solution to over-fat fonts is to find a copy of Arial
Narrow and adjust all the themes to use this as the font :)

Richard