On May 20, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Thomas Aeby wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to use MythTV in a configuration where the backend is
running on a central "media server" and playback goes via network on
mythfrontend running on an VIA EPIA based box.

Unfortunately playback on the VIA based box is stuttering, thus it plays
well for half a second or so, then stops for 1/3 second (video and
sound), then plays for another half a second, stutters again ...

I am using an M10K. I have had a series of video stuttering problems, which I have mostly worked through. The one you describe is the like first one that I had.

In my case, I was still setting up, and experimenting, and had not yet set up the audio out yet. I had installed for ALSA, but my settings where still for /dev/dsp, which I got a warning about every time I started playing something. The video would pause just as you described, until I went in and changed my audio options to use ALSA, at which time both the audio worked, and that type of video stuttering stopped.

Also, what type of tuner are you using? Another source of stuttering was the ivtv driver, which doesn't quite support VBI yet (sounds like it is getting very close, but definitely didn't when I was having the problem). When I ran the mythtv setup, and turned VBI to NONE for my ivtv cards, all but the slightest stuttering was gone.

The only stuttering I have left happens for about 15 seconds every half hour or so. The CPU is normally 80% idle during playback, but during this time it is only 10% idle. It lasts for such a short time, and the the stuttering is so light, I haven't taken the time to really dig into the problem.

Hope that's what you're running into, it's an easy fix.

-Michael