Neil wrote:

OK. I guess I could clarify that. *GOOD* S-vid isn't that much worse than component. Unfortunately, many of the cards with tvout have such sucky quality that it's unusable. The homebrew hardware I built to do s-vid from VGA gives results essentially the same as the component adapter... just modulated as NTSC. I have long since given up on TVOUT from video cards for quality reasons.

Hi Cory,
I totally disagree that component is worse than svideo. Below is the order of quality from good to best:

You should read what you quoted again. He is saying what you said, that good S-video is almost as good as component. He never said component was worse than S-video.

Tom