On 5/20/05, Jeff Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not using the tv out on the 350.  Here's the thing.  It's all
> working just fine on 2.6.9 (including mythmusic).  But I got an HDTV
> and a pchdtv3000 to go with it.  Getting that to work has been
> troublesome.  Now, for various other reasons, I've wanted to upgrade
> the kernel in the past.  But, everytime I do, I run into an issue with
> sata_nv hanging.  I've opened a bug against the kernel for that.  But
> now, with kernel support built-in for the 3000, I *really* want to
> upgrade.  But, in researching the sata_nv bug, I've noticed that
> nvidia networking (previously working via forcedeth) and mvidia
> graphics (via the nvidia drivers) don't work.  So, rahter than
> continuing to hit my head against the wall, I thought I'd put it out
> there and see who knows how to make this work.  After all, my end goal
> is not to run a Gentoo box, it's to run a Myth box.

So the issue really isn't about a distribution, it's that you can't
get a kernel that seems to allow
- sata to not crash
- support for the pchdtv3000
- nvidia network
- nvidia graphics

all at once.

Hmm, I'm  running a Gentoo box on an Asus Nforce motherboard with all that stuff, Ithink.

Email me off-line and I can return my config if you like.

Jonathan

I would think that the best way to fix it would be to go with the
latest kernel and start debugging those problems one at a time.

I get the feeling that if you can't get them all to play nicely just
in the kernel, changing the distribution won't change that - in fact,
I imagine you're better off staying where you are since you can try as
many different kernel revisions/patches as you want without having to
worry about finding an appropriate binary package for ivtv, since
you'd be compiling it anyway.

- Jeff

--
email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites