gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:

First of all, this is myTHTV.org, If you want authoratative
info for mysql, you would be best served by mySQL.org...

As it turns out yes, but since I wanted to fix MythTV I hope you'll
forgive my coming here.

for shame!  no one else ever goes off-topic on this list ;)

Well, you never gave him a correct answer and appearantly still
don't know. How long should he continue wasting his time here
when the authoratative info can be found in seconds at mysql.org?

OK, clearly this is why the frontend wasn't connecting. What I'm not
understanding out of this whole ordeal is why, when the frontend was
configured to connect to 192.168.1.2, which is within the IP wildcard
match, did mythtv convert this to gandalf and make life hard on
itself? (and me!) ;-) The only place Gandalf is mentioned, AFAIK, is
in /etc/hosts. It's not in Myth's configuration anywhere.

i'm not sure about this, either ... it was my first assumption, but
testing on my particular network showed that it worked with 192.168.0.% when i didn't have an entry where Host = 'kryten%' (the hostname of my remote frontend is kryten.slacknet.local) ... and without an entry where Host = 'smeg%' (the hostname of my backend is smeg.slacknet.local) ...

Then "kryten" would not be a local connection and 'smeg%' != 'smeg'
as a match for a specific hostname.

If there is not an entry for the string used as the hostname in
a Unix scoket connection, access will be denied.

mysql> delete from user where User='mythtv' and Host='moktoo';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> flush privileges;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT Host,User,Password FROM user where user = 'mythtv';
+-------------+--------+------------------+
| Host        | User   | Password         |
+-------------+--------+------------------+
| 192.168.0.% | mythtv | 0476fc026afffe24 |
| localhost   | mythtv | 0476fc026afffe24 |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -hmoktoo mythconverg
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h192.168.0.33 mythconverg
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -hlocalhost mythconverg
mysql>

--  bjm