Phill Edwards wrote:

I'm finding MythStream extremely difficult to get working. I don't
know whether it's me or the user interface but I still haven't had one
successful stream yet. I took your advice and pasted some URLs from
shoutcast.com into my streams.res file as follows:

[item]
Phills Radio
Club 977 - 80s
http://shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=1694&file=filename.pls
[emptystring]
[emptystring]

[item]
Phills Radio
Club 977 - Top 40
http://shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=3281&file=filename.pls
[emptystring]
[emptystring]

[item]
Phills Radio
Vocal Trance
http://shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=1986&file=filename.pls
[emptystring]
[emptystring]

When I go into MythStream I use right arrow to go to the tab called
"Phills Radio", press Enter on one of the radio stations which then
shows me a tab called "harvest" with a list of http URLs with IP
addresses:
http://64.236.34.4:80/stream/1040
http://64.236.34.67:80/stream/1040
http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1040
http://64.236.34.196:80/stream/1040
http://205.188.234.66:8010
Which means it successfully got the playlist from SHOUTcast.

When I navigate to one of these and press Enter the top of the screen
shows "no stream" in yellow writing and then "no data received" and
then idle".

Surely I must be doing something wrong here - it can't be this hard!?!
If someone could please post their streams.res file, or even just an
extract that they know works, that would be a big help.
Great!  That means it's working.

Unfortunately, though, the URL you chose isn't broadcasting. This happens sometimes--it seems some 'net radio stations don't like users accessing their streams without using Microsoft Windows/Internet Explorer/Windows Media Player (so they can force the user to download ads), so they seem to switch up URL's/ports and it takes a while for whomever posts the info to SHOUTcast to figure it out...

Note, also, if you chose a low-bitrate stream, since MPlayer has a large cache (8MB by default), it may take a while for the stream to start playing (up to a minute). If this is the case, MythStream won't tell you that there's no stream--it will just sit there for a while saying "buffering".

So, best bet is to try again and choose a different station/different URL for the same station. BTW, to verify that the station isn't broadcasting, you can use MPlayer and/or xmms (with xmms, I think you have to use the GUI to select Play Location):

mplayer http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1040

Mike