For Christians Sunday is restday to commerorate the rising of christ. See also "Good friday". For the same reason the first day of the week, to start the week with attention to this.

Rudy

Jeroen Brosens wrote:

Yes, but for at least as many Europeans as there are Americans, the week starts on monday. Even though I am no believer, I recall that Sunday was the 7th day according to the bible ;)

--Jeroen