Hi,

After several months away(the box I was configuring was stolen). I'm back
and planning its replacement.

The box will be a SFF Biostar iDEQ 330P with one of the newer/cooler generation
AMD 64 processors (probably a "San Diego" unless anyone knows a good reason
to go with a 512 KB cache variant).

Last time I was around Jarrod was having some success with IVTV and the
PVR-500. So the first questio is how this is progressing:

Is the PVR-500 now a viable alternative in Linux?

The next questions have to do with the benefits/disadvantages of the 500
against the 350 (with hardware decoding).

Obviously it's nice to have two tuners. Is the picture quality of the 500
noticably worse than the 350?

I will be using the HTPC into a flat LCD screen with DVI in. If I use DVI
then the hardware decoder of the 350 is irrelevant, but what is the heat/noise
tradeoff for software decoding likely to be using the AMD processor?

Any quick help on this would really be appreciated.

Also wondering about the best screencard to use.

It has to be a PCI-E card, which I think limits me to ATI and Nvidia, and,
at first glance the ATI's with passive cooling seem beefier than the Nvidia
ones (where all but the lowest spec cards have nasty, whiny fans). I had
an ATI card before that I was pleased with, but have read that picture quality
is better with Nvidia. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Marius

Thanks