Donavan Stanley wrote:

On 7/5/05, Craig Tinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
how do I go about changing the spacing between menu items? I have them
placed where I want them to match my background.. I've tried various
combos but nothing yet..

The background section of the theme.xml can use several tag to control
the layout of your buttons.

buttonarea -  Controls the physical area for the buttons. (Required)
buttonspread - Controls whether myth spreads out the buttons to use
all of the available space.  (Optional, defaults to yes)
buttoncenter - Controls whether or not buttons are centered.
(Optional, defaults to yes)
columns - Controls the maximum number of columns. (Optional)
image - The background image to use (overrides the one in the qtlook file)
visiblerowlimit - Controls the number of rows that can be on screen at once.

So...  In order to position a series of buttons over a background
image so that they appear to be part of it you would need something
like:

<background style="normal">
   <image>button_background.jpg</image>
   <buttonspread>no</buttonspread>
   <buttoncenter>no</buttoncenter>
   <buttonarea>27,117,1200,600</buttonarea>
   <visiblerowlimit>6</visiblerowlimit>
   <columns>1</columns>
 </background>

Thanks for the answer :)

Unfortunately it still doesn't explain the spacing..

For example I have at the minute:

 <background style="normal">
       <image>background.jpg</image>
       <buttonspread>no</buttonspread>
       <buttoncenter>no</buttoncenter>
       <balancerows>no</balancerows>
       <buttonarea>30,250,800,550</buttonarea>
       <visiblerowlimit>6</visiblerowlimit>
       <columns>1</columns>
 </background>

so it's displaying 6 menu items down the left of the screen starting at about a 1/3 the way down.. but the 6 items are nearly falling off the bottom of the screen.

I can't move them up because it won't look right with the background..

so I was wondering how I can change the spacing *between* the menu items - make it smaller so the menu items are closer together.. changing the font size makes no difference.. if I do that then the *perceived* space between the menu items are larger - although it's technically the same.

am currently looking at:

 <genericbutton>
   <text>
     <area>60,8,3,0</area>

am thinking that might have something to do with it but it doesn't seem to work as expected

any ideas?

Thanks

Craig