if you compile the latest ALSA from the site (not from the kernel) there has been some work done on this chipset and it will allow you to adjust the volumes

I got it working right out of the box under FC1 and didn't really have
much of a problem (well, once I dumped both KDE and gnome and went
back to ratpoison).  That'll teach me to dork with something that's
already working well.