Chad wrote:

On 7/12/05, Michael T. Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Global pre/post-roll is only used when bringing up the encoder from
"full stop" ...

If you want a specific recording to start early or end late, use "Start
Early" and "End Late" settings...

So, basically, don't use global pre/post roll to compensate for
broadcasters time differences.  Think of it as option.  Instead, set TNG
to record with a start early and end late setting.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!  I'll set the global 2 minutes
early, and then set the per-program 3 minutes early.  I'd really like
a per-channel option too, as I generally record "on any channel at any
time" and it's not any channel that does this.  But this will work.
OK. This is pure speculation... There are two ways to verify whether my guess is correct: you can wait for someone who's much smarter about the inner workings of the scheduler than I am (i.e. Bruce Markey or Chris Pinkham or David Engel or ...) to confirm or deny it or--even better--try it out for yourself.

You /should/ be able to get the exact behavior you want without a "per-channel" start early/end late setting. Assuming you want TNG on one channel to record an extra 3 minutes early and late, but on all other channels to record "normally" (i.e. using the global pre/post-roll if warranted), just make two recording rules.

The first rule should be to record all episodes of TNG on this channel (the messed up channel) with a 3-minute start early/end late. The second rule should be to record all episodes of TNG on all channels with no start early/end late. I don't think that Myth would pick the "this channel" rule over the "all channels" rule by itself, so you'll probably have to set the "this channel" rule to have a higher priority (i.e. +3) than the "all channels" rule (i.e. 0). (Unfortunately, I don't know if "this channel" is considered a different scope than "all channels," so this might not work at all.)

HTH.

Mike