Phill Edwards wrote:

Just wanted to comment/clarify something here.  DVB cards (in my case DVB-T) do
not just do HD TV,  They also do standard definition, SD.  In fact, in
Australia, it's mostly all SD, as HD is just getting going.  The 720x576 mpeg
that I get from SD is very good IMHO.

Just curious - how do you know you're getting 720x576? Do you have to
set some configuration somewhere for this or is that just how it comes
in the broadcast stream? If you transcode it, should the setting be
720x576 rather than the default of 480x480, or doesn't it matter what
you set it to?

When I use nuvexport, that's what it tells me the source is. Yes, I believe this is how it comes over the broadcast. I have been advised (here) that the myth setting don't effect DVB card recording.

As for closed captioning - if you can explain what it is and how to test it, I
could try it out for you

I don't think this works for Australia. There was a recent post saying
that the CC support patch is for the UK standard. CC is done
differently in the Aussie DVB broadcasts.

Regards,
Phill
______

OK