I see you are running a serial receiver. You need to make sure that the
kernel hasn't loaded its own serial driver and taken over the port.

try running dmesg|grep ttyS

if you get something like this:

ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Then the kernel has your serial port. The fix is well documented in the
lirc documentation.

There were other suggestions in this thread too, like manually
modprobing the modules you need. Have you tried this?

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:20:55 -0400
Justin Popa wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas? I've checked my logs and there is some lirc
> activity, but the service still won't start.
>
> On 7/18/05, Justin Popa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Seems like it's one thing after another on this machine.
> >
> > I set up everything down the list, and I've got it all working except
> > for lirc. I have a serial reciever on Com 1. I have done an apt-get
> > install mythtv-suite(for lirc-lib) as well as a apt-get install
> > lirc-kmdl-2.6.11-1.27_FC3 && apt-get install lirc. I have all rpms now
> > installed. I also added the lines he suggests to the
> > /etc/modules.conf. Rebooted and here's where I run into my problems.
> > There is no lirc related module in lsmod, and when i run service lircd
> > start, I don't get anything. No errors or notifications. I checked the
> > messages and dmesg logs, and I am lost. Anyone have any idea on other
> > logs I can look at? Or other things I may have done wrong?

Nick Rout