All,

Well. I think I might have identified part of the problem. I had a very minimal make.conf, specifically the USE variable. I am now recompiling everything from X back up to mplayer with stuff like "nvidia" turned on and a bunch of codec stuff. I assume this will make a noticeable difference. I just can't believe that a card and processor that I used to play movies on three years ago can't handle the same encoding, especially at a resolution of 640x480.

After I get this squared away, I think the next task is going to be tuning the output to the TV so it's not so hard to look at it without getting a migraine.

   Ongoing thanks to everyone who has been helping.

Sincerely,
Erich