Hi Justin,

As someone who has the same card/distro, I can offer some assistance. Jani's
guide is now quite out of date. It is no longer necessary to recompile the
kernel at all. The command you need to use to load the driver is:

modprobe dvb-bt8xx

That is all. It had me stuck for quite a while too. You should find that
this will create the dvb items in /dev/.

The other issue you are likely to encounter (if not already) is with lirc
for the remote. Again Jani's guide should not be followed due to native
support being added to lirc. Just use the latest version - no patches
required.

If you have any other questions I am happy to help.

Good luck,
Matthew.