> Did you even read the post you "just found?"  ;)
>
> In my post (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/141854#141854 ), I
> recommended reading the whole page so people would see just how much
> control you have over power saving in Linux.  Control = options =
> decisions to make.  Windows = all decisions made for you (so hope it
> works the way you need).

Sorry, I hadn't read that thread -- I coincidentally found that page a
little while ago.

> Windows seems to read the disk whenever it gets bored, and
> you have to trust that Microsoft decided that disk access was really
> necessary.

And Linux doesn't? O.o

I've found that it's far more aggressive at reading the disk when it's
not really necessary than Windows, making hd powerdown difficult to
configure at best.

> Sorry for the rant.  I just see so many people pining for "Microsoft
> Linux" anymore, I feel its important to note the difference.  If you
> really want someone to make all the decisions for you, go with Windows
> (that's exactly why I have never recommended any friends, family, or
> acquaintances switch to Linux--they don't want or need to know how or
> why or have any reason to control any of it, they just want it to
> work).

For a long time, I wanted to fiddle with all the settings and toy
around with my machine.  After a while, I just got sick of having to
spend an inordinate amount of time adjusting settings and playing with
things to make it work -- I just want it to work now so I can get on
with {working, enjoying my computer, etc.}.  In this case,  I find
Windows does a better job of making it Just Work(TM).

You are of course entitled to your opinions, and I understand them.
All my position on this topic is, it's nice to have things work
without wasting a lot of time playing with them.
--
Ian Trider
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

MSN:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] (preferred)