I have been running MythTV for eight months and have a volume issue that I have not been able to resolve.

The volume out from MythTV is considerably louder then any other device I have.  Setting the amp volume to 1 for Myth is about the same as 7 or 8 for my DVD player.  This means that nudging the volume up as tad can move the sound from inaudible to booming.  I can bring the sound level in line with the other components using PCM, but this results in a very loud hiss at anything approaching a standard volume.

any thoughts?