> I never got my head around "transcoding" as I figured I never needed to
> with the old card. now I'm recording with the 250 I figured I'd better
> know more about this transcoding thing.
>
> what is it? why does it matter? how will it affect how I use my mythbox?
> is there settings I need to know about? am I right in thinking it's more
> of an issue now I'm on a 250?

I think so. From what I understand, the PVR-250 encodes in MPEG2 which
means good quality but big files. So you can set up a transcoding rule
for each profile which will run automatically at the end of each
recording. The transcoding rule can automatically convert your MPEG2
recording to MPEG4 or RTJPEG. MPEG4 is the smallest. You'll sacrifice
some quality, depending on what settings you use, but the file sizes
will be a lot smaller. Your previous bt878 card probably already
recorded in MPEG4 so it wasn't an issue then. You set this all up in
the recording profiles screen.

> I have mtd running as a daemon on startup but I don't know what it's
> there for! lol

I think this is needed if you're going to rip DVDs or CDs.

Regards,
Phill