Neil Bird wrote:

Around about 09/08/05 02:29, Craig Tinson typed ...

I use redeye serial too.. but with a *very* simple one line bash script.. would be interested in what you've done with redeye.c and the script too..

Okey-doke. I make no pretention that I'm the original author/modifier! The 'digibox.c' [née red_eye.c] and its Makefile I purloined from somewhere and then fine-tuned to speed it up (near-instant channel changes now).

The skychannel bash script (which does the deed from Myth & uses digibox) is pretty much my own, but with some file-locking thrown in. I did purloin the file locking originally, but I think I completely re-wrote the mechanism after a while.

  usage: skychannel <channum>    [100 <= channum <= 999]

Copes with turning on the digibox if its off, and also (as it's once happened to me while I was hammering another remote at the exact same time the script ran) tries turning it on a second time in case the first power-on got missed.

  Also blats the zap-banner upon channel change (as Myth provides one).

[don't forget Sky now has a setup option to timeout the little red dot interactive logo things]

Also hangs about for a little over 4 hours and turns the box off (unless called again in the meantime) to 'reduce' power and ensure the box gets resets to cope with S/W updates, etc. It's a timeout as I couldn't easily tell when progs. finished and deserved a power-off. 4 hours seemed enough (if you think you'll record individual progs. longer that that, change the timeout).

thanks Neil

it's a hell of a lot faster than what I've been using so far - and with it doing things a couple of times it looks like it will be a lot more reliable too :)

thanks for this.. will try it out for a couple of days and report

nice work :)

Cheers

Craig