At 10:20 AM 8/12/2005, you wrote:
Robert Johnston wrote:

On 11/08/05, R. Geoffrey Newbury <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 11 Aug 2005 07:11:22 -0700, Jim Reith wrote:

My question is, of those specialized cases out there, what are people's
favorites - which ones have proven to be more stable.

I'm just putting together a box using the Silverstone LC11M as my case.
This box is intended to replace the 2 VCR's next to the TV so I wanted a
smallish and neat case.
This case is good looking 'restrained' and well made.

I've got MythTV box in the base LC11 case, and the case is virtually
silent (I can't hear it unless I put my head right next to it).

I am using a Via Epia SP13000 motherboard and there is a 'gotcha' involved
there.
The case has 3 horizontal PCI slots in the back and will take full length
PCI cards BUT the included PCI riser card expects that the first slot will
be an AGP slot, and the PCI riser card will fit into the second slot of
the motherboard. Of course a mini-itx board has no second slot! and no AGP
slot. The answer is that you will need a PCI extension ( $8.00 at Logic
Supply in Waterbury Vermont: great service from them BTW!), to go between
a PCI riser card in a mini-ITX board PCI slot and your cards, so that then
your cards will line up with the back of the case. Second gotcha is that
there does not appear to be a 3 slot PCI riser card made anywhere...so you
will be limited to using 2 PCI cards. The third slot is limited to AGP use
only (and then only if you have a board with an AGP slot.). Since I am
intending to use the on board video of the EPIA MB, 2 slots are sufficient
for my Hauppauge PVR500 and a pcHDTV card.

I'm using an ASRock mATX board, which has 1xAGP and 3xPCI (Only 2 of
which can be used in this case). It is more than adequate to run 1xAGP
NVidia 5200 and 2xPVR250's, along with 2x250Gb WD HDD's, and the whole
system is silent. The most annoying part of the whole case is the
ULTRA-BRIGHT-OMGMYEYES Blue LED's on the front. :)

Personally, I would STRONGLY disrecommend the Silverstone LC11:

* The hard disk bays don't have room for SATA disks, due to the front fan
getting in the way of the SATA power cables
* There's a big metal rivet at the back, which prevents you from plugging
a VGA cable into an AGP graphics card
* The AGP/PCI riser module _REALLY_ doesn't work, I had massive problems
with video corruption and cards not being recognised at boot
* The integrated motherboard risers are too large, and cause shorting
unless you screw the board in tightly at EXACTLY the right angle

I bought a slightly larger Coolermaster Cavalier4, and fixed all my issues
in one go (without adding any noise).

My board is an AOpen i855GMEm-LFS, a mATX board which takes Pentium-M
CPUs. I've got an AGP GeForce 5200 and two Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T DVB-T cards.

Yeah, it's the Cavalier4 I have as well, with a full ATX in it. Plus you
still have the ULTRA-BRIGHT-OMGMYEYES Blue LED's on the front. :)

--Jo Shields