Richard Bronosky wrote:

So I tried to buy hardware specifically to have a good MythTV
experience.  ( See setup here http://www.bronosky.com/index.php?p=21 )
I have obviously failed.

I've installed KnoppMyth R5A16, and followed these instructions for ivtv
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4822#28248  I used
ivtv-0.3.7d.  I got HcwMakoA.ROM & HcwFalcn.rom off of the latest CD
posted on http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_mce.html

I'm getting the "reddish static fade in, fade out" problem.  I'm hearing
people talk about loading the ivtv module with different parameters.  I
don't know what loading a module is, or how to change parameters.  I
hear people talking about modules.conf and modprobe.conf...

This is just too much for me to figure out right now.  I don't feel like
I know enough to know what I need to learn.  I'm not dead set on
KnoppMyth, but I am dead set on the hardware described above.  Can
someone please tell me the easiest way to get a viewable video signal
from a PVR-500 using mplayer or something?  I just need a little victory
to feel good about this project again.

did you try 0.3.7g... I'm betting it is because your tuners aren't detecting correctly. I never had these problems on Debian but somebody I know had tried knoppmyth and had the exact same issues you are talking about. He gave me access where I tried to build 0.3.7c and I couldn't get it detecting the tuners right either. It seemed like something was wrong with tveeprom.ko which didn't make much sense since building it exactly the same way on debian vs knoppmyth produces 2 entirely different results.... Debian works, knoppmyth doesn't detect tuners right with a rebuild tveeprom.ko..

And for future reference, people will be able to tell you whats wrong quicker if you post the relivent info from 'dmesg' and post your configurations.

-Mike