I am a longtime (~10 years) Windows tinkerer, but just got into Linux in the past year, specifically for the purpose of setting up MythTV (which, simply put, rocks). I have it working, thanks to Jarod's fantastic guide. However, 90% of the commands I entered on faith, without any clue what I was doing.

Are there any good resources that people can recommend for learning about the architecture of the linux system? I'm not looking for a white paper, but just a general idea of how it treats hard drives (e.g., having to mount everything), peripherals (e.g., video capture cards), etc. along with some of the common commands that are used to manipulate system resources (e.g., depmod, modprobe, lspci, dmesg, etc.).

Any resources are greatly appreciated. I don't mind doing heavy lifting - if I can, I would be willing to put together a mini-FAQ for other nubies. I can't imagine I am the only one.

Thanks,
Zak