David Watkins wrote:

I got this error when I swapped channel numbers around (to get the
channels to appear in a logical order on the program guide).

I assumed that it was a problem with the 'startchannel' because when I
fiddled with that also, my system started working again. Unfortunately I didn't record exactly what I was doing so there's a
risk that something else I did caused the problem and fix.

Well in my case, it fixes itself, just by restarting. I don't have to change anything. However, I am aware of funny things happening with the startchannel. Sometime back I ran into a bug where it seemed to lose the setup and go back to the default (3). I just changed it to another valid startup channel, just in case.