Blake wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:16:02 -0700, Michael T. Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've got an ATI Remote Wonder.  I like the RF, but am still working on
improving range/sensititivy (especially through walls).

Oh...you've got a remote that came with a card?

Yeah. You can buy them separately, but I wouldn't recommend it. (IMHO, it's not worth $40-$50 for a remote.)

For audio I've got a SB Audigy Platinum with breakout box for this machine. Which, now that I look at it has both an IR receiver and a firewire port. Which, right now, just confuses me.<s> I figured just to hook up the, uh, traditional A/V cables along with the S-video for starters. (It would be cool at some point to be able to hook up my VCR to the box, just long enough to rip some VHSes that are rotting in the garage....)

Yeah. I had that plan once, then I noticed how ugly the VHS videos look compared to broadcast recordings, so I only recorded off one tape as a test. Fortunately, I only have about 6 tapes, so it's not that big a deal to just let them rot... Thought about buying DVD's, but now, I'm even starting to think my collection of Stargate SG-1 DVD's is "old tech" because it's not high-def.

Yep.  That's what I do.  Believe me, it was liberating to finally remove
the batteries from my 5 remote controls!

I'm salivating at the thought.

:)

The only thing I can't control with the remote is the TV.  I have my
Myth box in a different room (the ultimate in silent PC) with a hole
through the wall for video and speaker cables.  Since I'm using an A/V
receiver for audio, I control volume through it.  So, I simply hit the
power button on the TV before sitting down for some Myth.  Thought about
trying to mod the transmitter circuit to allow for another IR LED on a
cable without over-driving the serial port, but I'd have the IR LED
drawing power and the cable's resistance, so I decided it was easier to
just hit the power button.  (Can't even do a separate simple transmitter
because I only have one serial port.)

Is that a common problem?

It's only a problem because my IR blaster is in a different room from my TV. If I kept my Myth box, my 2 Dish receivers, my A/V receiver, my VCR, my TV, and my speakers in the same room, I could control them all with the IR blaster, but I choose aesthetics over being able to turn on the TV and put everything but the TV and speakers in a different room. Much quieter than any "silent" PC and much prettier than even the most beautiful (and expensive) PC case.

Mike