Hello all,

I'm setting up my first Mythtv system on Gentoo and had a question
about storage. What kind of problems will I run into if I base all
my storage for recorded programs, stored movies, MP3s, etc. on
external USB or firewire drives? For now I am putting my frontend
and backend on the same system (Asus Pundit-r 3Ghz, 200GB HD) which
only has 1 HD bay but I plan to move to separate frontend and
backend setup if I find Mythtv and I get along ok. External drives
seem like a good solution due to ease of expansion the ability to
migrate them fairly easily to other systems.

Sounds to me like you should consider your next move to separate your
front and backends and use the Pundit as a frontend and get a chassis
with extra storage bays for a bigger "in a closet somewhere" backend.
I currently have 4 IDE slots in my combo backend and since I've
filled my 3 200gb disks, I'm considering moving my DVD burner to
external and putting in a 4th drive in the box.

Should I avoid I stick with one directory per drive and avoid
JFS/XFS? Is performance to low? Are their know problems with JFS or
XFS on these kinds of drives? If I add all the drives to one files
system will the spanned file systems be difficult to get back up on
a different system that recognize the drives in a different order
than the original?

I am fairly familiar with JFS on SCSI drives using HP-UX (as of a
couple years ago) but have never used it on Linux or with IDE.

Thanks in advance!
Henry