Phill Edwards wrote:

Is hacking the XML file the best way to get what I want, or is the
kludgy "set the auto shutdown time to five minutes" solution I've seen
proposed better? I just don't want my master backend to try and schedule
recordings on the frontend because it won't be up most of the time and
it doesn't have auto-wakeup either.

Which XML file? I've searched through all the XML files under
/usr/share/mythtv/themes and I can't find one that contains the text
"Exit now" which makes me think this isn't in an XML file.

Regards,
Phill

You definitely need to fiddle with C for this, as stated in an earlier reply - I made this alteration myself, as well as altering how myth handles quitting (so the power button on the remote quits/shuts down, but the exit button merely goes up by one menu entry)