On Sep 15, 2005, at 9:19am, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/15/05 8:54 AM >>>

On 15/09/05, PAUL WILLIAMSON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yes I think I must have slipped up somewhere, because I'm
pretty sure that mythbackend is running as root.  I'll look when
I get home tonight.  Sadly for me Jarod's ability to write the
guide seems to be better than my ability to follow it :-(
because it wouldn't be the first mistake I've made through
not reading it  carefully enough.

LOL - me too.  I read through it about 5 times and actually did
the whole thing from start to finish about 5 times before I
realized that the $ and # were there for a reason.  I'm
a fairly seasoned *nix admin (10+ years) and didn't
notice the #/$ until I printed out the doc and read
everything, cover to cover, on a flight from Buffalo
to Atlanta.

My mythbackend is running as root also. I thought I followed Jarod's guide to the letter, but it's possible I missed a $ and ran a command at a # prompt.

However, I looked through the /etc/init.d/mythbackend script that fires up mythbackend automatically at startup, and found the following lines in the start clause of the script:

#  cd $MYTHTV_HOME && daemon --user mythtv $binary $OPTIONS
  cd $MYTHTV_HOME && daemon $binary $OPTIONS

I'm assuming that the first one explicitly specifies the user mythtv to run mythbackend, but it's commented out. The second one doesn't specify a user, so it runs as root. Should I comment out the second line and un-comment the first? Why is it like this in the default install anyhow? I hate changing things around if I don't understand them first.