>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/15/05 11:50 PM >>>
>
> What about having "recommended" or "common"
> configurations?

Isn't that what the PVR Hardware DB is for?

> 1) single PC - everything installed,run and stored locally.
>
> 2) single backend system  -
backend+tuners+lirc+database+web+filesystem
> all on one host.  "basic" frontend on other host/s (as many as
desired,
> often just one) running GUI/mythfrontend+plugins only.

Does this assume that the single backend will be a frontend
as well?  If not, why have LIRC?  I have 3 frontends and 1
(soon to be 2) backends, and none of them run LIRC, yet
I've got full remote functionality.  I used to run LIRC, but
then it was only on the frontends.  Is there any reason to
run LIRC on a backend (no frontend) only machine?

> 3) minor deviations from (2) eg: lirc on frontend, (extra) tuner/s
> in frontend,

If there is a (are) tuner(s)s in a frontend, this makes it either
a slave backend or the master backend.  This is almost
the only differentiator between a frontend only and
a combined fe/be.

> What other common instalations are out there....?
>
> What about a Wizard configuration tool?... (for common
> configurations)

<snip>

Don't know if a wizard would be much more than
stepping through 1-5 on the mythtvsetup
process...

What might be cool is to have some sort of wizard
(don't know if this is the right term) to help people
select what sort of hardware they will need.

I know my biggest effort was in trying to determine
if I needed tuners all over the place, how stuff
(nfs mounts) needed to be defined, how the recorded
programs got from the backend to my TV, if I needed
cable boxes all over the place, etc.

I guess that's what the Wiki is for.

Paul