> All
>
> I have been play Knopix version of MythTV and have a backend/frontend server
> up with an old ATI TV Wonder VE. I also have a Frontend (almost only) for
> viewing. I have lots of little issues
>
> chronicled at http://www.cossaboon.net
>
> So before I sink much more time into this is the following a reasonable?
>

> (Base)
>
> Build a server with 2 - 4 PVR-250 (or 150 or 500) with DirecTV Satelite
> tuners on them.

Can't say as UK-based. If it's non-HD and uses a regular cable tuner,
you should be OK.

> Have  1 - 3 remote PC with 'front ends' on them using this back end for LIVE
> TV (with full EPG) and watching Recorded shows.

Remember you can only watch LiveTV on as many machines as there are
capture cards not being used at the time. Recordings take precedence
over LiveTV.

> Remotes are easily reboot so my children and Wife can use it with no Linux
> knowledge.
>
> (Step 2)
> Have the ability to share CD Audio and other Video content not recorded with
> remote Font End

You need to put this contect (uses MythMusic and MythVideo) on a
network share so that other machines can access it. Content recorded
in MythTV itself is accessible through MythTV's own architecture.

> (Step 3)
> Have the ability to record to DVD as a 'DATA Disk' MPEG2 and/or Mpeg4

You can do this but it depends on external tools and scripts.

> (Step 4)
> Record AC3 Audio with video

Only likely if you're using a HDTV/DVB card with channels that carry AC3 audio.

> I almost have the base working as a 'beta' system, with a few glitches, but
> am afraid I will not be able to get to Step 3 (Step 4 is a real science
> project from what I have been reading and would require a non-hauppauge card
> as the do the audio video combining into the MPEG stream, but a ATI TV
> Wonder and a sound card with AC3 in?????

Nope. The SPDIF input will be expecting a digital audio feed. Hardware
capture cards will all tend to record audio in MP2 format. HDTV/DVB
card which simply dump the broadcast streams to disk 'as they are'
will contain AC3 if the streams do.

Good luck with the project,
Nick