On 9/19/05, Michael T. Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Could this be a problem with your system (instead of a problem with
Myth) that others are seeing where running mythfilldatabase (or wget of
any kind) while recording causes an IOBOUND situation that prevents
information from being written properly and causes an A/V sync offset?
In other words, does Charlie Rose happen to record around the time your
mythfilldatabase runs?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/150176

Yes Mike !  In the mythbackend.log, there are IOBOUND entries that
correspond in time exactly! to the discontinuities in the Charlie Rose show.

But here's the thing:  I had already suspected mythfilldatabase because
it had been running within the Charlie Rose hour. So, I changed the
window for mythfilldatabase to run outside of that hour - problem still
occurred.

So, mythfilldatabase is not the cause, BUT the system is recording
Letterman (in HDTV) from an HD3000 card at the same time.
I guess that the simultaneous recordings are too much for the I/O
system to handle - a bit of a surprise to me.

But now, thanks to you pointing me to the logs, I can set up the
recording schedules so that only one recording takes place at a time.
(Of course, I feel that I should have looked in the logs without having
to be told to.)

One more observation, about a specific time:  Last night's out-of-sync
break occurred at 36:19 into the Charlie Rose show.  That's within the
first two minutes of Letterman.  Maybe there is extra overhead at the start
of a recording?

Anyway, Thanks Mike, for the heads-up to look in the logs.
It's quite likely that I can avoid the problem, at least for the near-term.

--
MM