Others have done a good job of talking about higher end, so let me talk
about the lower end.

I have Dish network coming in through an anlog line, into my tuner, and
out to a 20" regular TV.  So my source resolution is lowish, but my
line is very clean, and my output device isn't very picky. :)

My defualt setting is 480x480, 2000Kbps (the only thing I changed in
the MPEG2 profile was bitrate, nothing else).  This gets me just under
1 gig per hour, and if I sit 6 feet away, there's really no perceptible
degradation.  My "high quality" is 544x480, 3500Mbps (1.8 gig/hr).
"Live TV" is 640x480, 4500Kbps.

I've also got a Matrox Marvel G400.  I have to capture at 352x480,
because 720x480 will bog down my system.  Quality is still just fine,
comparable to the PVR-250, although the file size can be about 10
gig/hr (I transcode these to about 1800Kbps).

If I had a bigger, fancier TV, I might be more picky.

Earlier, before I sorted out my coaxial cable problems, I had some
noise on the line, and it did really bad things to the picture quality.