Have a look into jump points.  You can configure them from mythweb and then you can setup 'activities' on your panel (watch tv -> Live TV) etc...  Then after you press that button your page changes to display a keypad and transport controls or the like.  I have been thinking abou the same thing recently.  I want to be able to pull a list of recordings to a device (not to difficult) and when you select one on the device the frontend starts playing it (more difficult).  Other than that I don't see how a menu would do you much good.  You already have the TV on if you want to watch it.
Nathan